[geeks] Aaarrrggghhh!!!

Ido Dubrawsky idubraws at dubrawsky.org
Fri Feb 13 07:58:25 CST 2004

So yesterday turns out to be a crappy day.  My wife's purse got stolen out of
her minivan with all of her credit cards, her keys (she had accidentally
grabbed my keys to take our older daughter to the nursery school...so I was
stuck at home), and everything else she carries in the purse.  I spent the day
canceling her cell phone, credit cards, the range of checks in her checkbook
(although we need to go to the bank and probably close that account and open
a new one...while this was probably some low-life criminal who was looking to
get the money and credit cards in her purse only, in this day and age of
identity theft I don't want to take any risks), as well as dealing with the
insurance companies (home -- for her personal contents of her purse and the
auto -- to get them to determine whether they'll help pay for rekeying the
minivan -- this guy's got my wife's address from her driver's license as well
as the keys to her minivan...theoretically he could just drive up in the middle
of the night and take it).  I changed the locks on the house...I've gotta go
get my wife a new cell phone, she had to get a new driver's license (she's
leaving on Sunday for Dallas to visit her dad who's got advanced Parkinson's
and is not doing too well), and now I'm getting the messages from Netflix and
other people that I had auto-renewal of charges that they can't charge my
account because it's no longer valid.  What's funny was that whenever the
person over at the credit card company would ask "is there anything else I
could do for you?" I would answer, "Yeah, find the lowlife that stole my
wife's purse and get it back for us."  This is gonna cost us about $1000
(both deductibles on homeowner's and car is $500) to recover from.  Damn.

Ido

P.S. Sorry, had to get that off my chest.
Ido Dubrawsky, CISSP           		E-mail:          ido at dubrawsky.org
Network Security Architect
dubrawsky.org
500 Hermleigh Rd