[geeks] Wireless AP

Thomas Gallaway rescue at port11.net
Thu Feb 12 21:39:14 CST 2004

Wireless has gotten better. The new firmware pretty much prevents weak
IV
codes from being used. I do a lot of 802.11b stuff and have a dedicated
quad
xeon machine at the office to crack wep keys for customers. So far I
was not
able to bruteforce any of the newer firmware wep keys nor while
sniffing packets
able to get more than 4 weak keys and that after 1 weeks of packet
sniffing on
a heavy load network.

Also I run a wireless bridge to a second location using cisco yagi's,
amp and
a bridge. I gave up bruteforcing the wep key on it after 3 1/2 weeks.

Also a good point always is why should somebody bother cracking your wep
key if they can drive down a block and pick up 5 networks that do not
have wep.
Then again if you name your ap like VISA-HQ or SECRETCORP then it is
just
stuipd.

-- Thomas