[geeks] Wireless AP

Martin Wedel geeks at xsintrk.net
Thu Feb 12 14:09:39 CST 2004

> My current firewall/NAT/Wireless AP appears to be failing, so it's time
> to find a new one.  I just wanted to get some opinions on good models
> and the models to stay far far away from.  I currently have a netgear
> MR314 that I have had for a while now.  It's been pretty good unit,
> except I wish I would have just bought an access point instead.  Any
> words of wisdom before I begin my search?
>
> --
> David

You can always go with the Linksys WRT54G. Mine has been very stable, and
is loaded with features, and, it runs linux. You can get custom firmware
here http://www.sveasoft.com/forum8.html which lets you tweak it even
more, do rate limiting, etc etc. My previous model was a SMC barricade
with 802.11b, and I never had any stability issues with it either.

-Martin