[geeks] Terminal Services security

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Wed Feb 11 11:25:36 CST 2004

On Feb 11, 2004, at 8:56 AM, Mike Meredith wrote:
> One of the fun things about them, is that users seem quite happy about
> tunnelling once they've gotten over the initial shock of realising that
> talking to local ports connects them through to the remote machine.

Getting my head wrapped around the syntax (I seem to have
difficulty with "meta" + "indirection") was the hardest
issue.  I found a nice web page written by a Mac user
that helped me out in that regard.

 > Because my manager is quite happy about tunnelling, he's quite happy
> sit in on meetings to suppliers and point out that as *he* can do it,
> there's no reason why more technical people at the suppliers can't do
> it (or we've got reason to suspect their technical competance).

Two things spurred me to learn it--I wanted IMAP access to a
new mail server, which would only allow local connections,
and the AFU VPN set up at the contracting location.  The
VPN concentrator, after I managed to get them to set up my
access, would only give me an IP--no DNS, no route.  I
finally just said the heck with it, and set up tunnels,
since the guys in my office didn't have control over the
VPN concentrator, and I didn't feel like going back and
forth with corporate IT myself.

=Nadine=