[geeks] Terminal Services security

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed Feb 11 10:32:02 CST 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 06:31:20AM -0700, Dan Duncan wrote:
> If you do open terminal services to the internet, perhaps
> Microsoft will warn you of a critical flaw... six months
> after they know about it.

Six months, or five years....  Microsoft's quality position has become
"Let the customers find the bugs.  If the customer doesn't know it's
broken, it doesn't need fixing."

I experienced this myself when I worked at Microsoft ... back in the
days when Windows was still something you ran from DOS then exited back
to DOS to use non-Windows applications, I found and reported a serious
(but easily fixed) bug in a beta of Windows 3.0, which ended up with my
group'sliaison with the development group throwing a huge political
hissy-fit because I was "damaging his relationship with the developers."
I guess having to pass on a bug report interfered with his ass-kissing.

 : alaric at caerllewys.net|alaric-ruthven at earthlink.net|alaric at novylen.net  :