[geeks] Any other packrats?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Feb 9 12:30:58 CST 2004

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 11:06:50AM -0700, Dan Duncan wrote:
> How did you get rid of your packrat tendencies?  Is there a
> patch for that?  My wife and I are trying desperately to get
> rid of ours.

It came down to "we had a two car garage, now we have tons of junk and
a pathway to the washer and dryer".  We *like* minimalism, its just the
*implementation* that's hard. 8-)

We have a 3-bedroom two-bath house, and the living room and den are mostly
empty.  the "library" (third bedroom) is all books on the floor and a
chaise lounge.  The "computer room" has two desks, books, and three
computers.  The bedroom has one king-sized bed, two plastic tubs as
endtables, a dresser, and a 51" tv.

Throwing stuff away is awfully liberating.  I got rid of a lot of things
I'd carried around from place to place since high school/college, and
consolidated "sentimental keepsakes" down to two plastic tubs of stuff.

> <packrat>
> Ooh, I need most of that!  Has trash run yet?
> </packrat>

heh.  When the guy who dropped off the dumpster found it was going to be
mostly computer junk, he said he'd go looking after he picked it up.  I
saved the only thing worth saving (Dell Optiplex GX1, P2-350 system) and
will just give it to him when he shows up to collect the dumpster.

Note:  Trash companies think you're strange when you want a 40-cubic-yard
dumpster put in your driveway in front of the garage.

Bill

--
bill bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net