[geeks] Ping of Death

Francois Dion fdion at atriumwindows.com
Thu Feb 5 08:30:28 CST 2004

It could be one of many things, but just to name a few:
1- Social engineering - the person is trying to get some privileged
information about your network infrastructure. Once you tell them you
have no idea what you are talking about, they'll ask for details on your
setup, what model router etc.
2- Advanced Hacker - somebody is using a fake IP that just happen to be
yours (I'm assuming you have a static IP), and is intercepting the
3- Clueless Hacker - you are on dynamic IP, and somebody is using the
same ISP as you and trying to run programs like nmap and got assigned
the IP you currently have.
4- Hardware failure - Malfunctioning equipment somewhere
5- Script kiddie - Somebody running one of those tools that does brute
force everything, with a bit of IP spoofing for good measure. I have
thousands of hits on my IDSes from these. Eventually you refine your
rules to look at the bigger threats only.
6- Misconfiguration - IT pro misconfigured his IDS and is getting a
false positive
7- so on and so forth

More than likely, it is 5 and the "IT professional" (that just finished
his cisco class at the local TCC) just figured out how to run Openview
with his ids box or something like that and is pursuing every entry in
the log as if they were legit attacks.

It would still be a good idea to run an IDS (any old PC with a nic will
do) on the outside (promiscuous stealth mode - using a hub and read only
cable - I recommend running Solaris 9 x86 on it) and then get something
simple like ntop running on one of your solaris box. Then at least you
have logs to review. Solaris also has snoop which you could log and then
review if you want to try that. The ideal is to run an IDS inside and
outside, and log to a common database, and then look for patterns using
a software package (if you pick up inbound activity both outside and
inside, your router is compromised or not set up right).

Ciao,
Francois