[geeks] switches, when rack space is at a premium

Martin Wedel geeks at xsintrk.net
Mon Feb 2 09:39:41 CST 2004

> Francois Dion wrote:
Then there is the Dell
>> 3348,  base price is also $950 but the SFPs for the uplink are half
>> price. Who makes the switches for Dell? Dell is always hit or miss,
>> always a risk. Anybody has been running some of these for a while?

Just to add a coment, we run the 3348s at work, and have had absolutely
zero issues with them. We use stacks of them uplinked into 5224s with no
issue. Then again, we migrated from 3com XM3300s. We don't do much as far
as VLANs. The price is right, and they work as advertised.

The management software built into the switches is pretty decent, nice
stats, port naming, mirroring functions that I use for IDS (no appreciable
hit to the switch). Can't speak for their openview-ish app as we haven't
had a need for it.

-Martin