[geeks] switches, when rack space is at a premium

Francois Dion fdion at atriumwindows.com
Mon Feb 2 09:09:33 CST 2004

With gigabit being so prevalent, one would think that 10/100 switches
would be dropping a bit more quickly but...

I'm looking into getting a pair of 48 port 1u 10/100 managed switch.
Usual suspects are HP procurve 2650 and Cisco 2950 48 port. They look to
be exactly the same, spec wise (altough, I have to real world
performance comparison), but the 2650 can be had right at $950 or so.
Why would I shell so much more for the Cisco? Then there is the Dell
3348,  base price is also $950 but the SFPs for the uplink are half
price. Who makes the switches for Dell? Dell is always hit or miss,
always a risk. Anybody has been running some of these for a while?

I already got some HP and Cisco stuff, so single vendor is not a driving
factor.

Thanks,
Francois