[geeks] Good low-end AMD 64bit system?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Dec 28 09:47:25 CST 2004

On Fri, Dec 24, 2004 at 09:34:04PM -0600, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:

> We also built an Athlon FX machine based on the Shuttle SN95G5, and it
> was fantastic (mind you we had a Quadro 4000 in it). If I want a quiet
> machine in the future, that will be it. It's probably the smallest
> AMD64 you can build. It's nice to not have to worry about adding all
> the usual things. Mind you, I haven't tried running alternative OS's on
> it (if you are sticking with windows, you will be fine)

Oddly the Shuttle (don't know the model off the top of my head, but it is
a P4) on my desk at work is surprisingly noisy compared to the Dell
Dimension 8100s I previously used (but not as bad as the generic Athlon
machine that went in between the Dimension 8100 and this Shuttle).

On a side note, so far it has been easier to get new machines at work
than it has been to get memory upgrades.  I've upgraded my main desktop
twice in a year to get from 256 to 512 to 1024 megs of Ram.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/