[geeks] Asterisk PBX

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Dec 8 00:58:52 CST 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 05:15:35PM -0500, Ido Dubrawsky wrote:
> Ok...so I've decided to start playing around with Asterisk to setup a PBX at
> the house.  What I want to do is use a second POTS line I have to the house
> and terminate that as the primary line to the PBX (inbound and outbound).
> I've
> looked at the asterisk website as well as the Digium website but I'm not sure
> as to what hardware I need.  I've got a standard x86 PC but do I need both
> the FXO and the FSO card for the Digium TDM400P card?

All you need is a cheap X100P "clone" card (less than $20) for the Asterix-to-
POTS end (FXO), and for FXS (internal), you can use cheap IP phones or
IP-to-POTS adapters (GrandStream HandyTone 286, Sipira 2000, Cisco ATA-186)
and just plug in normal phones.

> Also, I want to setup
> IP telephone on the "inside" of the house and for the Asterisk to be the
> IP-telephony to Analog gateway...can it do that?

Yep, that's exactly what I'm doing.  One FXO (normal POTS line coming in from
SBC), 2-3 FXS (phones around the house).

> How hard is Asterisk to set up?

See other email - there's good documentation, and the Xorcom CD looks very
nice.

Bill

--
bill bradford