[geeks] nifty toy: Linksys NSLU2

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Dec 8 00:27:44 CST 2004

Picked up a Linksys NSLU2 and a cheap USB2.0 external HD enclosure
tonight, combined it all with a 120G IDE drive I had around, and now
I've got a nifty low-power CIFS/SMB fileserver that runs Linux (embedded,
ARM-based) and makes no noise at all.

>From the Mac:

coldshot:~ mrbill$ smbclient -L shoebox.mrbill.net
Password:
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.7b-ja-1.0]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        ADMIN 1         Disk
        DISK 1          Disk      For everyone
        amy             Disk
        bill            Disk
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Linksys NSLU2 120G)
        ADMIN$          Disk      IPC Service (Linksys NSLU2 120G)
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.7b-ja-1.0]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        SHOEBOX              Linksys NSLU2 120G

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        WORKGROUP            SHOEBOX

It works!

>From another Linux box; I've already edited fstab for the /shoebox mount
point.

[root at box /]# mount /shoebox
Anonymous login successful
[root at box /]# mount |grep shoebox
//shoebox/bill on /shoebox type smbfs (0)
[root at box /]# df -h /shoebox
//shoebox/bill        110G  9.6G  101G   9% /shoebox

Now to just get a custom firmware on here and enable native NFS...

More info:

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article85.php
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/

Bill