[geeks] SAN opinions

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 14:39:10 CST 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 09:23:06 -0500, Phil Stracchino
<alaric at caerllewys.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 08:12:00AM -0500, Dan Sikorski wrote:
> > What brand of SAN equipment is considered to be the best?  I'm looking
> > at a project to potentially put in a SAN for some Dell windows servers.
> > Dell sells rebadged EMC products, which from my understanding mostly has
> > a reputation for being overpriced. While price is not the only concern,
> > i don't want to waste money.  What does the geeks collective reccomend?
>
> Don't know if they'd do what you want or not, but ....  have you looked
> at Adaptec's SnapServers?  I know Ceva-DSP in San Jose just replaced a
> JBOD with a SnapServer 4500, and it's working great for them.  Does
> SMB/CIFS, NFSv2/v3, Appleshare, and has pretty good LVM.  (I think it's
> a proprietary embedded OS.)

They run embedded Linux, and they are not anywhere's close to SAN...
fine enough for a small group, but unless there's some beefier stuff
than the one I used, I wouldn't put it in an "enterprise" environment.

The one I had didn't do NIS right (i.e. you were better off manually
creating your UNIX users locally--using the web interface) and
couldn't do LDAP (nor was their support for it planned).  You couldn't
really mix UNIX + AD for authentication unless the namespaces were
completely unique, nor could you configure AD for authentication and
have a SnapServer directory as the home directory mount.

What I didn't understand was why they went to such lengths to cripple
Samba--since that was what it was using for the NT bits.

=Nadine=

All in all, very single-minded and crippled.