[geeks] Digital VAXstation 3100

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Aug 31 18:04:01 CDT 2004

Tue, 31 Aug 2004 @ 12:23 +0000, Lionel Peterson said:

> > There is a VAXstation 3100 I'd be willing to snag if anyone thinks
> > it is worth picking up.  It was used to run card readers for
> > employee punch-in/punch-out.
>
> Wow, that's an impressive box to register employee #123 started at
> 8:01 and left at 5:03...
>
> It wasn't *bought new* for this purpose, was it?

Well, the whole card security system, and I think some of the other
security stuff runs under VMS on a DEC Alphaserver 800.

I think that the 3100 might have been the original VMS machine, and the
Alpha replaced it.

Otherwise, yes, it was a single-application machine.

Now I'm curious.

Anyway, is it worth rescuing?  I've only used the larger VAXen before.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [There is a limit to how stupid people really
are -- just as there's a limit to the amount of hydrogen in the Universe.