[geeks] [rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware) -OT

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Apr 29 08:23:30 CDT 2004

" From: wa2egp at att.net
"
" > it didn't fit into existing mfg infrastructure, which is worth big
" > $$$.  they'd have to scrap their engine plants for a start to switch.
" >
" > it -was- too expensive, from their viewpoint.
"
" Claimed it had twice as many parts as a V-8.  I've seen diagrams.
" Didn't look like that to me.  I still think a good part of the decision
" was that it would last too damn long.  (Hmmm...let's see..dump the
" body at the junk yard...go to Ford, pick up a new body.....)

parts count doesn't matter.  retooling costs matter.

if the engine was different enough, retooling for just -one- exotic
complex part could sink the design, from mfg-cost perspective.
doesn't matter how good it is.

a gee-whiz number i've heard: your car's manufacture created as much
pollution as it will emit in its entire normal life on the road.
therefore, keeping an old car on the road is a green maneuver and
crusher laws ultimately benefit principally the car makers.

" They restricted the size of the intake so much that the turbine couldn't
" compete with piston engine cars.  I also seem to remember that it
" didn't have to refuel any more than the other cars.  Of course you're
" not going to find engines like that in my Protege....

yeah, all that proves is that race cars don't get good mileage.  900hp
wide open...