[geeks] [rescue] Computerfests

Francois Dion fdion at atriumwindows.com
Thu Apr 29 08:43:18 CDT 2004

Phil Stracchino wrote:

>On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 09:40:23PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>

>>Two words (OK, one's an acronym or something):  Mercedes M111.
>>

>(Or was it BMW M111?  I don't remember .....    diesel-powered, gullwing
>doors, completed an endurance record at a sustained speed on the order
>of 150-mph)

It was the Mercedes C111-3 (or C111-III if you prefer). Broke the speed
record at Nardo, in 1978, for Diesel in a few categories and distances.
It was a 5 cylinder 3L and the car had a Cx of 0.195. Previous records
(40 of them) were held since 1965 by the normally aspirated Peugeot 404
Record Diesel (a modified 1964 404 Coupe), one of which was over 10K
miles in about 100 hours (yeah, that comes out to a bit above 100 mph for

As far as "who said diesel are slow?", well that seems to be the
mentality these days in North America. Most people haven't heard of
anything but the Volks Rabbit diesel... Now I know in europe it's a
whole different story.

Francois