[geeks] [rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware) -OT

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Wed Apr 28 16:34:33 CDT 2004

" From: Dan Duncan <dand at pcisys.net>
"
" On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Brian Dunbar wrote:
" > I saw a proposal to use microwaves or lasers to beam power from solar
" > powered satellites to heat a boiler which would then generate
" > electricity.  I'm not sure if this would be 'better' or 'worse' than
" > simply beaming the same power to a rectenna or solar array for
" > collection.
"
" It would probably be too likely a satellite like this would be turned
" to less humanitarian purposes.
"
" I always picture that or a tracking error looking something like
" the beam that took out the White House in Independence Day.

would 1GW be enough power?

if the beam is roughly as intense as sunlight - that is, ~1kw/m^2 - a
1GW beam would cover 1km^2.  iirc, the sps proposals had -lower-
intensities and -larger rectennas.

you won't cook much with that.

p.s. if you're already beaming microwaves, why boil water with it?