[geeks] [rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware) -OT

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Wed Apr 28 13:02:11 CDT 2004

> Here's a (probably dumb) question I have always had about this.
>
> They say the output of some hydrogen fuel cells would be water.
>
> Won't that make the roads soaking wet?

Probably come out as a vapor.  In some "demos" I've seen, the
amount of liquid water given off is about as much as what is
released by a car air conditioner.  Of course, I haven't done
the math....

> > That would never fly.  Can't make enough money.  Need to s-can the whole
> > vehicle and buy a new one ;->
>
> Car companies definitely don't like the idea of a car that lasts a long
> time.

Ford built a prototype Stirling engine and ran it under full load for
a long period of time and found no appreciable wear.  They decided that
it was "too expensive to tool" and dropped it.  Um...yeah, sure.  It didn't
fit into planned obsolesence.

> Have you seen GM's vision of the future?  A completely sealed chassis
> that encloses engine and everything.  Zero maintenance for 10-15 years,
> and then you throw it away.

Halve the number and change the unit to the next lower unit is more like it.

> On paper, its being promoted as a great idea.
>
> However, it didn't look at all repairable...
>
> But a similar idea does interest me: the modular car.  You get a basic
> chassis made by Ford or Chevy, but it can take parts, even major
> assemblies, from other cars or third parties.

I don't want to open up my Sun and find a Pentium thank you. ;->

> A lot of car parts are already made by the same company anyway, so it
> seems inevitable.
>
> > I'm surprised external combustion engines were not more intensely
> > investigated.  Burn clean with plenty of oxygen, no pressure so
> > minimal nitrogen-oxygen compounds.  Darn efficiency no better than
> > internal but more potential to reduce pollution.
>
> What's an example of that?

Stirling engine, see above.

> I'm surprised more effort was not put into turbines.  They *were* making
> progress, and then just dropped it in the mid-60s.

Remember that race where the turbine engine race car was winning hands down
until a small gear broke in the tranny?  They changed the rules to restrict
the intake area (and lowered the power) so much that no one ever tried it
again.