[geeks] [rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Tue Apr 27 13:30:39 CDT 2004

> > > Speaking of Pintos... I always wanted to soup up and remove the
> > > problems from a Pinto hatchback.  I saw one the other day in gorgeous
> > > shape.  I kind of like the way they look.
>
> > There were some nice, small cars in the '70s - Like Vega, Nova, and
> > Pinto - they were too common to be collectable at the time, now they
> > are too odd to be appreciated...
>
> Vega looked kind of nice, but was a rust bucket.
>
> Nova was a mid-sized car.
>
> Pinto... ick.  Hated them, but have to admit they were tough little
> cars.  So was the Maverick.

You should get your hands on the demo Pinto.  Ford made special ones that
were not suppose to be sold (the dealer got to keep it).  I knew a
fellow who had one (he worked for Ford) and rolled it.  A few dents and
broken mirror....that's all.  Went well beyond the time for oil changes,
talking years here.  Couldn't kill the thing.  When he did take in for
service, he would take off work and watch to make sure they didn't
"replace" anything they shouldn't (wink, wink).  Vegas would rust in the
dealer's lot, that's why I didn't buy one.  Got a Corolla instead.  Also
a rust bucket but it took 10 years.  Couldn't kill the engine or the
auto tranny (except the darn head gaskets but you could fix it in your
garage.  I did. Many times.)  Drove it to the junk yard after 11 years
and 185,000 miles.....the body parts kept falling off!