[geeks] Alternatives to SpamAssassin? (was: testing)

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 27 02:04:54 CDT 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:34:12 -0700, N. Miller wrote:
> I'd be interested to hear opinions about the least "overhead" heavy
> spam killer.  SpamAssassin is grinding the U2 (where I do volunteer
> admin work) into the ground.

If you aren't doing so already, block aggressively using both BL's
provided by Spamhaus at SMTP time before running SpamAssassin. At work
I'm blocking around 95% of spam before it reaches SpamAssassin (although
I'm using more than just the Spamhaus BL's).

> the "junk mail" ratio is about 95%.  Our users won't let us /dev/null
> stuff b/c they claim SA has too high of a false positive rate (I

They'll probably object to blocking stuff outright then, but point out
it's a choice of blocking stuff that's almost certainly spam or living
without the service. We've thought about having a 'spam day' at work
where for one day we cease all spam blocking just to show the users how
bad the problem is :)