[geeks] Alternatives to SpamAssassin? (was: testing)

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Mon Apr 26 19:34:12 CDT 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 00:01:48 -0400, "Phil Stracchino"
<alaric at caerllewys.net> said:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 04:21:05PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > Speaking of such, SA and mutt are the only mail-related items I haven't
> > upgraded lately.
> >
> > I'm at Postfix 2.1, Mailman 2.1.5rc2, and am waiting on mutt and SA
> > releases.
>
> I actually switched to dspam a while back.  I'm finding I like it a lot
> better than SpamAssassin.

I'd be interested to hear opinions about the least "overhead" heavy
spam killer.  SpamAssassin is grinding the U2 (where I do volunteer
admin work) into the ground.

At this point, we are either going to have to "firewall" ourselves
soon, or shut down the server.  (We are in the DMZ of
$big_company--they donate the bandwidth and datacenter
space).

AFAICT, we are running SA in spamd/c mode, but it's still killing
the server.  Of course between bouncebacks from virii and spam,
the "junk mail" ratio is about 95%.  Our users won't let us /dev/null
stuff b/c they claim SA has too high of a false positive rate (I
haven't seen that myself).

Suggestions appreciated.

=Nadine=
--