[geeks] [rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware) -OT

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at plexus.com
Mon Apr 26 09:01:36 CDT 2004

On Apr 26, 2004, at 8:15 AM, Kevin wrote:

> I've been of this opinion for some time now.  Some argue that
> they have cost problems due to unionization, and a portion of
> that is probably true, but all in all, if a private business
> can't stay afloat after all these years...
>
> /KRM

The airlines were doing fine (or at least the industry wasn't having
the issues they are having now) before deregulation.  And yes,
regulating an industry _is_ a way for the government to support an
industry, but they weren't having to pay _cash_ to bail individual
carriers out on a regular basis.

But it should be possible to operate an airline at a profit.  Southwest
does, and their employees seem happy.  Turnover in their IT shop in
Dallas is low, at any rate.

We can't go back, and The People (including myself) are happily used to
paying below market value for airline tickets.  The best answer might
be to let the industry go and work things out for itself.  That is,
however, a lot of churn and disruption - I doubt it could be made to
happen politically.

~brian