[geeks] [rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware) -OT

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at plexus.com
Mon Apr 26 00:38:02 CDT 2004

On Apr 25, 2004, at 6:15 PM, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> " From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
> "
> " > From: Andrew Weiss <ajwdsp at cloud9.net>
> " >
> " > On Apr 18, 2004, at 2:15 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> " > >
> " > > A tax break is not a check. Welfare is a check.
> " >
> " > The bail out of the airlines was many checks.
> "
> " That is the exception (well, that, along with Chrysler, and I'm sure
> a few others) - that is FAR from a common occurance.
>
> fwiw --
> 1. chrysler was a defense contractor; their tank design also got the
> contract even though it was inferior to gm's in the proving ground
> tests.  it would be -very-bad- if we were to wind up with single
> bidders on major weapons systems.  what military/defense role do
> airlines fill?

Hmmmm I don't recall the specifics (but I'm sure the eleventy other
posts I can see in my queue might have some) but airline fleets are
subject to being drafted in the event of national need.  Not just
planes but (iirc) crew and (maybe) some support staff.  DoD also
charters airliners to fly troops to and fro when needed.

~brian