[geeks] [rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware) -OT

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sun Apr 25 18:15:10 CDT 2004

" From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
"
" > From: Andrew Weiss <ajwdsp at cloud9.net>
" >
" > On Apr 18, 2004, at 2:15 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
" > >
" > > A tax break is not a check. Welfare is a check.
" >
" > The bail out of the airlines was many checks.
"
" That is the exception (well, that, along with Chrysler, and I'm sure a few others) - that is FAR from a common occurance.

fwiw --
1. chrysler was a defense contractor; their tank design also got the
contract even though it was inferior to gm's in the proving ground
tests.  it would be -very-bad- if we were to wind up with single
bidders on major weapons systems.  what military/defense role do
airlines fill?

chrysler has since sold their mil business to ltv.

2. chrysler paid all their loans back in full, ahead of schedule.
will the airlines?  were they even -loans-?

if -major- businesses - like airlines, who already don't pay for much
of their ground facilities - need major subsidies to remain in
business, maybe there's something fundamentally wrong with their
business models?  maybe they -should- go out of business.