[geeks] Re: [rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Apr 18 20:06:27 CDT 2004

> From: Andrew Weiss <ajwdsp at cloud9.net>
> Date: 2004/04/18 Sun PM 03:29:20 GMT
> To: The List Geeks <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: [geeks] Re: [rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware)
>
> On Apr 18, 2004, at 9:23 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > Abusive tax rate? High-earners leave, putting a bigger burden on those
> > at the lower end of the spectrum.
> >
> I'd love to see a mass exodus of suits.  If enough of the super-wealthy
> left, maybe we could whip the rest of this country into shape in our
> image.  Also let them go to countries where they are more loved...

I remember about 20 years ago, they had an idea, called it "Luxury Tax" Cripes! DESTROYED the domestic pleasure boat industry (as one example)...

Now, we are talking *big* pleasure boat industry - when a $250K boat costs over $300K due to a "Luxury Tax" - you buy it overseas...

When the US Manufacturers of large pleasure boats went under, who suffered? The boat owners (the rich who should be punished?) or the shlub that fed his family on his (now eliminated) paycheck? The worker suffered - the consumers shifted their spending.

And what about taxing cigarettes to pay for childrens heath programs AND funding stop smoking campaigns? Does the Gov't want me to smoke or not?