[geeks] Re: [rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware)

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sun Apr 18 13:33:35 CDT 2004

On Apr 18, 2004, at 1:43 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Andrew Weiss wrote:
>
>> Because it is OK. Yes penalize people for being overly successful.
>> What kind of sick mind thinks it is ok to charge minimum wage earners
>> or people working two jobs just to make ends meet taxes at a rate they
>> cannot afford to pay yet let someone who makes $100G a year manipulate
>> his taxes to pay next to nothing.
>
> To hell with that.  This is why our tax system doesn't work and should
> be replaced with a consistent consumption tax.  People who buy more pay
> more tax.  If you buy 30 cars, you pay tax on the 30 cars you bought.
> If you buy two or three house, pay sales tax on two or three houses.
> If
> you can only afford to buy food, clothes, and basic needs, you end up
> paying a lot less tax.  There's no way out of that without committing
> conspiracy.

If there was only a consumption tax (or sales tax), then sales taxes
would go up to recover lost funds.  Unless you removed the sales tax on
small items, that would be unfair to poor people, and at the same time
this fools with the message this country is spoon fed every day...
consume.  If consumer taxes go up people will buy less stuff.

Andrew