[geeks] Re: [rescue] Taxation (was Computerfests)

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 18 05:35:01 CDT 2004

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 15:27:03 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> Yep.  And in Texas, the roads are paid via gas taxes and window
> stickers.

In theory it's the same in the UK, but in practice I believe it has to
be supplemented with other funds. And of course *I* don't pay road tax
(I don't drive) even though I benefit from the result.

> That I'll pay for.  That army should not cost $xxxx/year per citizen.

Unfortunately that's the army you've got. Most people trying out a cheap
army end up with a cut-rate one.

> > Ever made use of the justice system (even if you haven't had direct
> > contact you will have used it) ?
>
> I've had them make pretty good use of me, stealing land from my family
> through a law technicality about right-of-way.  In TX, if you trespass
> on someone's land repeatedly for a number of years, and the owner

That isn't technically about right-of-way, that *is* right-of-way. It is
possible that it has outlived its time, but there is a damm good reason
why it is there although now isn't the time to go into that.

> > Education and health care is a bit more contentious,
>
> And should (IMO) be paid for by fees rather than taxes, since people

Maybe, but the consequences of paying for health care with fees results
in an underclass who die of easily cured diseases. I'm sure as hell not
going to agree to something that would have prevented me being here ...
my dad's parents wouldn't have been able to pay for his treatment as my
grandfather was unable to work for a long time after Dunkirk. Some
people are unable to pay, not because they are too lazy to work but
because they were off doing something more important.

> > Feeding and clothing people who cannot afford to do it themselves is
> > basic human decency.
>
> As harsh as this is going to sound, that's a matter of opinion.  When

This is all a matter of opinion :) (well mostly)

> I was unemployed and down, I leaned on my family, not the state.

And if you didn't have a family ? Or your family couldn't afford to keep
you ? I dare say you leaned on savings as well, but what if you couldn't
build up those savings ?

> People who "can't" clothe themselves need to get a minimum wage job or
> two or whore themselves out consulting like I did.

Of course! But jobs aren't always available.

> -I- think doing what you can to meet your debts and responsibilities
> is basic human decency.  I do not want to be (nor think I am) a net
> sink on society.

I'd call that "responsibility", but agree.

> I'm only 25-30 minutes away from work.  I was 75 minutes away from
> work a year ago.  It's not the length of the drive--it's the

It's still driving during the worst possible time to be driving, and
judging from the grim expressions and clenched teeth of those colleagues
who do drive in, it's pretty bad for the stress levels.

> > Or if you have a reasonable boss talk to him about working those 8
> > hours at unusual times (afternoon and evening),
>
> I work for the government.  I think that pretty much answers that. ;)

You might be suprised ... two of my colleagues work odd hours in that
they come in early and go early. And I also work for the government !

Now to spend a little time benchmarking a horribly inefficient Oracle
installation :)