[geeks] Insurance (was [rescue] Current collections)

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at mac.com
Wed Apr 14 18:03:01 CDT 2004

> I've always had Geico... I'm in NY... and my rates are great.  They've
> always handled claims well.
>
> I've heard bad things (a lot of bad things) about Allstate.  I used to
> work for a guy who had a non-profit called Citizens Against Unfair
> Insurance Practices... judging by the hundreds of articles I perused,
> most companies have some amount of bad faith claims... I never once
> read about Geico in those... but that doesn't mean they don't
> occasionally screw the pooch.

I think the deal with insurance is that alot depends on your particular
agent.  I hear bad things about almost all of the companies.

I have Allstate (Maryland) and insure a 2000 Chevy K1500 and a 1999
Corvette for ~$1250/year.  I'm single, 27 years old, with no kids, and
have a perfect driving record.  However, I do have a great agent.

Thus, I think that the best way to find a good company is to talk to
friends who live near you and find the agent that they have had good
luck with.  Then, follow that agent to whatever company they happen to
work for.

YMMV, of course.