[geeks] SCSI vs. Firewire vs. SATA

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 12 15:32:03 CDT 2004

Hello all,

I came across this "test" of SCSI vs. Firewire vs. SATA, and thought others
might be interested. It is Mac-specific, but the concepts should apply to
other platforms...

   http://www.barefeats.com/hard35.html

The point that conuses me, they frequently mention that U320 SCSI is 3x more
expensive, and you get 1/3 the capacity - I think what they mean is that the
per-Gigabyte is 3 times higher for U320 SCSI, and that the largest U320 SCSI
drives are one-third the size of the largest SATA drives (73 Gig U320 vs. 200
Gig SATA)...

Just a datapoint for reference - With this justification, I'm going to pull my
U320 SCSI controller from my low-end x86 server and go straight SATA (allowing
me to redeploy the U320 controller and drives to a non-SATA box... ;^)

Lionel
lionel 4287 at verizon net