[geeks] HD data recovery recommendations?

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Sat Apr 10 00:54:23 CDT 2004

> > The 80G drives were particularly troublesome I'm sending back my fourth
> > one to Hitachi as soon as I remember to have them reopen the RMA.
>
> So, who makes the best 7200RPM, 8meg-cache 3.5" ATA100 drives nowdays?  I should
> upgrade soon while drives are cheap.  Don't need more than 120G or so.
>
> I'm tempted to go SATA, but I doubt it would perform any better in the system
> I've got now (dual 867Mhz G4).

If you don't already have a controller, SATA will cost extra since you'll
have to buy a controller.  With the costs continuously dropping on hard
drives, when you have a system with a SATA controller you can just buy
a new SATA disk and keep using the old ATA drive on your old system.

I've always had good luck with Maxtor drives, but I did buy a Western
Digital 120GB drive about a year ago that is still going strong.  I
think I'd either Maxtor or WD, which ever had the best price and
warranty.  I was going to buy another WD 120GB drive the other day
when they were on sale at Fry's but the drive only had one year
warranty.  I'd rather get the alternatively-packaged drives that
have the three year warranty.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net