[geeks] Low cost spectrum analyzers?

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Sat Apr 3 09:32:59 CST 2004

> Hi
>
> Anybody know for a low cost but still effective spectrum analyzers for
> RF stuff.
> Is there any software/hardware sollutions cause all the stuff I found so
> far are just hardware stuff.
>
> Thanks,
>               Thomas

One path would be to get an old Tektronics scope (like the 454) and get
the spectrum analyzer plug-in.  I've seen the scope go for under $200
(sometimes well under) and the plug-in for for under $100 depending on
the particular plug in.  The scope is an old tube beast but they still
work (I have two) and you can get other plug-in for other purposes.

Another possibility is to get a software spectrum analyzer in the audio
range and build an external device to heterodyne the RF down to the
audio range but that doesn't give you much of a frequency spread.
What are you attempting to do (measure)?

Bob