[geeks] 4th Amendment Gone

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Apr 2 14:58:29 CST 2004

Fri, 02 Apr 2004 @ 03:41 -0500, Michael Schiller said:

> Of course there are other problems with the idea. For starters, if
> you're no longer voting in your representatives, then it ceases to be a
> democracy (like it really is now?), so you have to come up with a name
> for this new form of government.

What is wrong with continuing to call it the rebublic that it is?

Democracy in the USA is a process, not the form of government.

The founders, Jefferson in particular, studied democracy as government
form and soundly rejected it.

> Then there's the problem with having
> to quit whatever it is you're doing now to run off to Washington for 4
> years (let's say you've just started a new business, and after 1.5
> years are just now starting to get it to break even, what? do you close
> it down for 4 years?)

Modern technology should allow very flexible scheduling.

Really, this is less complex than other personnel scheduling done on a
fairly regular basis.

Alternately, we could simply try to encourage people to participate and
make this a grass roots effort.  If it caught on, it might make a future
transition to this as a government participation model a little easier.
People would be used to the idea.

This really, is what Jefferson wanted: his natural aristocracy.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [governorrhea: a contagious disease that
spreads from the governor of a state downward through other offices and his