[geeks] 4th Amendment Gone

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Apr 1 15:49:04 CST 2004

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> I think we should stop voting for lawyers myself, and also forbid anyone
> to become a professional politician.
>
> What we need in the legislative and executive branch are doctors,
> policemen, programmers, farmers, engineers, and all kinds of
> different professions, temporarily doing a "tour of duty" in
> government.

I seem to recall from my readings that the House was originally intended
to be composed of people like this, and the Senate was originally
intended to be composed of professional politicians.  The idea being
that the House would actually be representative and that Senators would
have the point of view that comes from years after years of learning how
the government machine works, and that, when the two houses would hash
things out, their final agreement would be a good compromise between the
needs of people and government.

Unfortunately, that, along with the 10% rule-of-thumb seems to be long
dead.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."