[geeks] OSX reminding me of windows?

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Sun Sep 28 12:07:40 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, September 24, 2003, at 07:20 AM, Rob Fielding wrote:

> Thomas Gallaway wrote:
>> thinking of sending the machine back to apple cause as far as I can
>> recall OSX should
>> not crash that much right?
>
> You're right it shouldn't.
>
> Sounds more like dodgy RAM. Have you tried reseating your RAM? Pitty I
> don't think there's an extended memory tester like memtest86 for none
> x86 machines.

I'd have to concur with Rob.  I use my G4/400 as my full-time
desktop, have all kind of non-Apple stuff installed compliments
of Fink, and it's very stable.  About the only thing that ever
crashes is my browser, and not very often with the latest release
of Netscape (Netscape 7.1 Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS
X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 for those
who care. ;-)

I'd crack it open and try reseating the RAM.  If that doesn't do
it, try going down to one stick of RAM, testing each in turn.
If fiddling with RAM doesn't do it, I'd ship it back--you might
have gotten a borderline mobo or something.

=Nadine=