[geeks] MS and Office Depot

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Tue Sep 23 05:10:26 CDT 2003

This is a bit old, but i was just hearing of it, so i
figured i'd pass the info along.  Notice that they say
this includes any product that "connect to a Personal
Computer and Notebook Computer."  Where does this leave
Mac peripherals?

What a tool.

/KRM

Microsoft logo scheme means Office Depot won't sell
non-compliant XP products
Is this the back passageway to DRM?

By Mike Magee: Sunday 23 March 2003, 08:33
A SCHEME BEING IMPLEMENTED by Office Depot _ almost
certainly at Microsoft's behest _ means that companies
that fail to join a logo scheme will find their XP
products won't appear on store shelves unless they've
been certified by Redmond.

Only products that conform to Microsoft's Designed for
Windows XP rules and carry its logo will be sold in
Office Depot after May this year, the INQUIRER has
discovered. (See memo at the foot of this article).
These rules apply to both software and hardware
products, and suppliers have been given a deadline to
either include the Microsoft logo or see their products
disappear off the shelves.

And if Office Depot is implementing this scheme in the
USA, you can bet your bottom dollar the other retail
outlets will also come under pressure to toe the
Microsoft logo line.

The move will affect a spate of products that sell
through retailers. Many have messages such as "works
with Windows" and similar tags, but the new Microsoft
scheme will narrow down the options for people making
products and peripherals.

Many, indeed, when they're installed, carry notices to
ignore the"driver is not signed" messages that come up
when people use Windows XP.

Suppliers who will be affected by the scheme tell the
INQUIRER that they believe the primary goal of
Microsoft is to push digital rights management (DRM)
through the back door. If products cannot be sold
unless they have been subjected to a whole battery of
Microsoft tests, they will have to conform to the rules
of the software giant.

For example, multimedia and audio products will be
required, as part of logo scheme, to go through the
Microsoft battery. 5

Office Depot Supply Memo
Dear Office Depot Supplier,
In October 2001, Microsoft released Windows XP, which
has become the fastest growing operating system in
history. This operating system is built on the
dependable Windows 2000 code base, features a fresh new
look, enables new personal computing experiences
including easy digital photo and video tools, and
fosters rich communications and enhanced mobility. As
you know, applications and devices that meet or exceed
Microsoft's technical requirements will be awarded the
Designed for Windows XP logo and be promoted in the
Windows Catalog(www.windowscatalog.com).

Please be aware that Office Depot is immediately
requiring all products that connect to a Personal
Computer and Notebook Computer must pass these Designed
for Windows XP logo requirements to be considered for
retail distribution through our stores. This change is
being implemented due to our on-going pursuite to
enhance and simplify our fanatical customer service
environment at Office Depot. Products must be certified
as Designed for Windows XP by May 30, 2003.

Additionally, it is critical that your packaging carry
the Designed for Windows XP logo. With the Designed for
Windows XP logo on your product, Office Depot will not
only ensure the best user-experience for our mutual
customers, but we also anticipate it will also result
in lower returns for Office Depot and lower support
costs for you.

For more information regarding the Designed for Windows
Logo requirement and certification, please see
www.windowslogo.com.

Please note that failure to obtain this certification
by the above date will result in the product being
eliminated from our Retail assortment and all open
purchase orders canceled.

Michael Dietrich
Vice President Technology Merchandise Division
Office Depot, Inc