[geeks] Holy Crap! (Question about Computer Architecture)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 22 10:51:26 CDT 2003

--- "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 vance at neurotica.com wrote:
>
> > Do you want it to be fast, or do you want it to be accurate?
>
> I think we both own machines which are both.

Well, if it is fast enough, you have time to check your answers! ;^)

Seriously, does anyone have pointers to an "accessible" Computer
Architecture manual/book? I am wondering about processor design, and
the compromises made in support of certain goals (i.e. the above speed
vs. accuracy question)...

I don't want to build a processor/design a computer, but I want to know
about various designs... I am not an engineer (neither electrical nor
choo-choo), so I'd prefer something accessible, preferably focusing on
high-end designs (mainframe-class implementations, not so much CPU Chip
design).

Thanks in advance,

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall