Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Oct 27 15:25:08 CST 2003

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 02:44:03PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Yup.  I know -- or knew -- a guy who placed fourth in the Manx TT with
> a seriously modified Kawasaki Z1.  It hated putting around town, but
> it was scary-fast on open road.
>
> And Joey Dunlop won the TT, what, seven times?  Eight?  I *lost
> count*.  That man OWNED the TT.

He won it 26 times, beating the former record of 14 wins.

He was champion 7 times I believe.

He competed in multiple classes, with men less than half his age.

His death was kind of shocking.  His last TT race, he had a nasty and
very fast wreck, but just walked away.  It was like he was invincible.

Though older, he reminds me of Jimmy Clark.  Both were quiet, brilliant
natural racers, and both died in obscure races, in the rain, in the
trees.