Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Oct 27 14:52:00 CST 2003

"From: "David L Kindred (Dave)" <d.kindred at telesciences.com>
"
">>>>> "Charles" == Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> writes:
"
"    Charles> Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
"
"    Charles> I thought all NASCARs were running a Ford tranny and
"    Charles> rear-end now?
"
"I thought a lot of them ran Jericho (sp?) transmissions?

they run jericos, which are based on the ford toploader design, on
road courses.  they run tex racing t-10s on ovals, because they have
slightly less drag.  you can't change gears easily, but few ovals
require shifting except when pitting or [re]starting.

"I know they all like that one rear due to the ease of changing gears.

there is/was a mopar rear [8.75"] with the same ease...
they all use the ford because:
a. it's strong.
b. it's easy to change gears.
c. back in the '60s, ford did their homework on high-speed problems.

the nascar boys ran ford wheels for a long time for the same reason.
and i think they still base their chassis on ford frames.

"    Charles> Aren't they all required to use the same thing from the
"    Charles> clutch to the rear axle?
"
"I haven't heard of any requirement in that direction.

afaik nope, no rule.

"Certainly the big
"skill is getting the gear ratios right for the particular
"track/driver/car/weather combination for a particular race.

yup.  along with the shock-damper settings, the swaybars, the springs,
the tire pressures, the alignment, the...

"From: Kurt Huhn <kurt at k-huhn.com>
"
"I thought they were running mostly Allison transmissions.

in the haulers maybe...