[geeks] The new G4 iBooks - anyone getting one? (looking for feedback)

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Sat Oct 25 12:32:10 CDT 2003

On Friday, October 24, 2003, at 06:11 PM, Andrew Weiss wrote:

> On Friday, October 24, 2003, at 04:18 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>

>> Where to buy an iBook - macmall.com has some decent looking offers
>> (max
>> the RAM (for $39), free Epson C84 printer (after rebate), free
>> shipping
>> (after rebate), etc) and they take about $5 off the list price from
>> Apple!
>>
> Don't fall for that... it's not worth it.  If for some reason your
> machine is DOA, it might take months to fix.  MacMall and the other
> big vendors tell you to take it to an AASP which usually means CompUSA
> for most people and have those bojos fix it under warranty.
> Everything is much easier if you use Apple Store.

You might also consider waiting a month or two, then check
Small Dog Electronics <http://www.smalldog.com/> for refurb'd
ones (Apple will have them too, but they don't always list
them on the web site.  The price will be lower, and they will
have normal Applecare and are eligible for the 3 year extension.

However, I'm a firm believer in not buying the first rev of any
major "new product", though.  I'd wait for a few months to see
if any "issues" shake out on the G4 iBooks.  YMMV.

> (proudly clutching my Panther copy that came this afternoon)

I hate you.  It's not a passionate thing, mind you.  I can't
even think about trying to justify $130 for a new version of
the OS. :-(

=Nadine=