[geeks] Fargin Issles - my Ti PowerBook is locked...

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Fri Oct 24 20:13:52 CDT 2003

On Friday, October 24, 2003, at 05:45 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Lovely.

They acknowledged the iBook battery deaths and replaced
them if you hassled Applecare--even if your iBook was
out of warranty.  They never ack'd the Pismo battery
deaths, AFAIK.  LIon batteries don't go from ~130 minutes
to <30 minutes in a few days or even weeks unless you have
done something Really Bad to them.

There's circuitry in the battery that the OS talks to...
apparently the Power Manager has had problems off and on
even in OS 9, much less OS X.  I won't be leaving a battery
in an Apple laptop for a long while when I do an OS upgrade.

I'm also really surprised that there hasn't been any kind
of problem like this with Windoze laptops, but I suppose it's
got something to do with the indirect way that the OS has to
deal with batteries--i.e. the OS is not so closely tied to the
hardware layer as it is with the single-vender Mac/Mac OS.

>> I still haven't installed 10.2.8.  Your best bet is to stay
>> tuned to the big Mac web sites and see what kind of reaction
>> there is to any newly released patches.
>
> Big Mac sites? (I assume you don't mean www.mcdonalds.com ;^)

Nope, not that. (Aside: are they putting wireless in McD's out-
side of Silicon Valley, or is that a local phenomenon?)

> Links/pointers please... Thanks.

<http://www.macnews.com/>
<http://www.macnn.com/>

There's more than that, but these are the two that leap to
mind.  I don't read a lot of the Mac web sites that often--
usually when I see an OS update notice from Software Update.
I guess it just kind of annoys me that there are so many
tech neophytes singing the praises of OS X (not that I don't
like it) without an eye to what's under the covers, you know?

<http://www.macosxhints.com/>
Mac OS X Hints has a lot of practical stuff--I learned that you
could turn on journaling FS from there.  The thing I like about
it is there's fluffy stuff for end users, but some nitty gritty
stuff for the UNIX geeks too.

=Nadine=