[geeks] The new G4 iBooks - anyone getting one? (looking for feedback)

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Fri Oct 24 18:38:43 CDT 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 17:01:03 -0500
> Bill Bradford wrote:
>

> > I think the G4 12" iBook is basically the first-model 12" Powerbook
> > with plastic instead of aluminum case.
> >

> That's probably a fair comparison.  The only thing missing is a "real"
> line-in port.  However, you can get a USB dongley thingy that has one if
> you need one.  (I haven't needed a line-in port at *all*)

As far as I got from talking to the apple people on campus, the 12"
powerbook has more cache, better graphics, possibility of superdrive, and
can do dual head. The ibook, has slower processor, smaller cache, and it
can not do dual head only mirror (from the factory at least). The ibook G4
has better battery life though.

I need to make a decision soon, I was in love with the 15" powerbook, but
the G4 ibook even loaded up is about $500 less with both academic
discounts.

I believe that the new ibook's keyboard looks a tad less plasticy than the
previous generation.

Damn apple, now I can not decide! :)