[geeks] Dog Be Gone

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Wed Oct 22 16:00:00 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, October 22, 2003, at 02:46 PM, Thomas Gallaway wrote:
>> 4. They destroy ranchers' grazing lands and create cattle-crippling
>> holes.
> The prairie dogs that where shot in this video where living in the
> wild,
> not on farmlands.

In addition, they are now extinct in many of the regions they once
occupied.  There are no natural prairie dogs living in Arizona anymore.
  Go to the Sonora desert museum to see the only ones in the state.. in
captivity.  They are adorable little fat bowling pins... They certainly
look nicer than rats...and their behavior is zany...

>> 5. They're plague-carrying vermin.
> So are we. *caugh* HIV *caugh* STD's

Yes... the first time was when we caused the whole problem by taking
every bit of the West in sight for our farmlands and cattle drive
trails... flash back 100-200 years and you have the disease of the
white man wiping out many Indian races... not to mention outright
killing as well.

>> 6. Hunting is more humane than poisoning, which is what farmers and
>> ranchers do.
>> 7. To stop the spread of plague, numerous prairie rat towns were
>> poisoned by
>> the state of Colorado a year or two back.
>> 8. They breed like, well, rats and don't have enough natural enemies
>> to keep
>> the population in check.

Maybe if we didn't wreck the habitat of the coyote, mountain lion, or
many other predators... we'd have no problems.

> There are many reasons why some things are good and some are bad. But
> personally when we had the DC sniper here I am sure nobody put the
> comments on the crime scenes like they do with their video.
> "Can you tell whose day is about to be ruined?"
> "Prairie Dog Olympic Training In Progress"

Indeed... pure beer guzzling crass behavior.  Not funny.  You want to
hunt them fine... don't make films about it that are the hunting
equivalent of "Girls Gone Wild"

Andrew