[geeks] A time sync problem

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed Oct 22 15:25:37 CDT 2003

I have a time syncing problem.

Here's the situation:

My most accurate (best timekeeping) CMOS clock is on an Athlon machine
(babylon5) running Linux.  It syncs daily to a consensus of eight
stratum 2 timeservers.  For my own internal purposes, it is thus
effectively a stratum 3 timeserver.

All my other machines then sync to babylon5 every 30 minutes....  in
theory.  Where the theory falls down is my NFS server, minbar (a U30
running Solaris 9), which refuses to accept that babylon5 is stratum 3,
and in fact insists that babylon5 is stratum 16 and not a suitable host
for time synchromization.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get minbar to accept babylon5 as
a valid timeserver?  I'm deathly tired of NFS clock drift.