Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Oct 22 13:58:21 CDT 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:05:42 -0400
Mike F wrote:

> True, it's easy to understand and get into. But my point is that
> if you're going to spend millions on R&D and employ hundreds of
> people on each race team, it's no longer anything like a backyard
> operation. NASCAR is big bucks. And it's all about big bucks.
> That's a bit of a dichotomy IMO.

That's true - then again, isn't all racing?  Owning a race team is
something one does for love of the sport, not to make money - at least
IME.  I could be wrong.

> Good point. I guess it all depends on your point of view. I tend to
> be interested in things that are at a high level. That's why I
> consider them worth my attention - because they are extraordinary.
> Call me elitist for thinking that, but all of us feel the same way
> about computing; if this was the "x86 Rescue" list none of us would
> be interested - x86 machines are, at best, boring and mundane. But
> this is the "Sun Rescue" list (well, this thread is on Geeks now)
> and we are interested because we prefer to focus our attention on
> systems that are vastly superior to the garden variety PCs Joe
> SixPack is familiar with. See the parallel?

Oh absolutely.  I "follow" NASCAR, and once in a while I'll sit in front
of a race, but it's difficult for me to dedicate any amount of time to
it (although I do have a Mark Martin coffee mug on my desk).  Paris to
Dakar, though, commands my attention when Speedvision puts it on, and I
follow the race progress through whatever media I have at my disposal.
The same with Isle of Mann, and most WRC events.  I was pretty damn
upset when Speedvision turned tuesday night into JANONOS(just Another
Night Of NASCAR On Speedvision). I looked forward to "2 wheeled Tuesday"
all week, and now it's basically gone.

However, I can't really get into F1, IRL, or CART.  I don't know why, I
just don't care for it.  I recognize the technological breakthroughs,
but...ho hum....

> Well, I _can_ see your point. And the same applies to NASCAR fans as
> well - they just don't understand other forms of racing. I think it's
> just particularly frustrating because in this country NASCAR gets 99%
> of the media attention when it comes to racing, and so many people
> think it's the *only* form of racing.

I agree.  I think NASCAR gets far more media coverage than any other
racing organization.  It's frustrating sometimes.

--
Kurt                 "I am not aware that any community has a right to
kurt at k-huhn.com       force another to be civilized."