Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 13:06:06 CDT 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:17:55 -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> Y'all are missing the point of NASCAR.
>
> NASCAR isn't about using the latest and greatest technologies.  It's
> about *identification*.

I don't know much about it, but I'd have thought that fun had something
to do with it. Mind you it might be a bit more interesting to watch if
the tracks had a few more curves.

> Look at it in this way: do you drive a car that, redlines at
> 18,500RPM, is 10 cylinders but only 3 liters, shifts with paddle
> things on the wheel, and is drive-by-wire?

You've forgotten a few technologies that F1 has used (quite possibly
first) that have trickled down to production cars ... traction control,
ABS brakes, etc. So quite a few people drive cars with technology that
started with F1.

> The people that like NASCAR racing like it for reasons that y'all may

Hell, it's fun. I prefer F1, but I'd still be happy to chill out in
front of a NASCAR race from time to time (if it were on TV over here).

> And just to clear something up - the NASCAR cars are *fast*.  Maybe
> not exotic, but they're fast.  You can't make a 750+hp car and have it
> not be fast.

About the same power as an F1 car then (despite the 3 litre limit).