[geeks] sword pics

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Wed Oct 22 07:34:35 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, October 22, 2003, at 07:24 AM, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 12:50:06AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
>> http://www.mrbill.net/sword/
>>
>> Not bad for $10.
>
> Oh come on.  We don't want pictures of your sword on your axe.  We want
> pictures of you weilding the sword (or guitar, for that matter).
>
> Should we ship you some broken windows machines so that you can take
> pics of you slicing them in half?

You've obviously never tried to cut up anything with a sword.  ;-)

It's a _lot_ harder than it looks.  I've cut up several things with
blades.

The one that comes to mind as the most fun was a foam couch.  Vinyl
covering foam rubber.  It took a couple of _hours_ to completely kill
that thing.  And that was after seriously sharpening the blades.

A large heavy battle-axe might do some damage to PC cases but unless
you're using a "magic katana" a sword will most likely chip or break
after a few hits.

And to make matters worse there might be a flaw in the metal causing it
to crack.  I watched a friend look dumbfounded as his sword broke on a
watermelon.  Yes, you heard me, a watermelon.

What happened is that he had used it to open a coconut earlier that
year and didn't know that there was a manufacturing fracture in it near
the tang.  (Forged blade not welded tang.)  Anyway the metal just
couldn't hack it and his sword broke on the watermelon causing much
hilarity.

Imagine a guy swinging a sword onto a watermelon to cut it and having
the sword break.  We all laughed like hell.

To the artists' credit he replaced the blade free of charge.

Mike Hebel