Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Mon Oct 20 15:40:29 CDT 2003

As I recall, 'Mike F' wrote:
> > Look?  They still CALL them cars.  Specifically, they refer to them
> > as if they were in fact the racing version of production cars.
> >
> > STOCK car racing, my ass.  I'd be amazed if there were ANY common
> > parts between the production Chevy Monte Carlo and the "Chevy Monte
> > Carlo" Dale Earnhardt died driving.
>
> I don't believe there would be a *single* common part between these race
> cars and the street cars they vaguely resemble.

That's what I'm saying.

> Heck, they're not even
> based on the same technologies - carbs vs. fuel injection, etc.

Heh, check this out.  A "comparison" of Earnhardt's "Monte Carlo:"
http://www.daleearnhardt.net/chevy/specs.htm

The dimensions are the same (thus the look part) but the drive wheels
aren't even on the same end of the car.  Then again, marketing is
pretty much targeted at idiots anyway, right?

> These
> days, what I would refer to as stock cars are the various SCCA classes
> of racing, as well as the Speed Channel World Challemge series. Those
> are truly production-based cars, and IMHO very exciting to watch.

NASCAR:  National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing
They haven't been stock for years.

-DanD

# I once put instant coffee in a microwave and went back in time.