Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Mon Oct 20 15:00:42 CDT 2003

On Monday, October 20, 2003, at 11:37 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 10:38:39AM -0400, Kevin wrote:
>> Amen and Amen.  Oval racing, in my opinion, in just
>> for warming up tyres.  I fail to understand the
>> fascination with NASCAR, the anti-F1.
>
> I know a lot of people who watch it for the crashes.  :(

Beer?

It is, however, one of the fastest growing sports in the
US.  Lots of money thrown around in that arena.

As for drag-racing, my ex-hubby does it for a hobby.  The
attraction for the folks involved in it is not the actual
driving (as he says, with two gears, a gas pedal, and
"go-where-you-point-it" steering), which is mostly reaction
time, but rather the engineering of the car.

I mean, what sort of crazy man mixes nitro and gasoline
and then puts it in a gas tank?  For top-fuelers, the
engine has to be re-built after every run ("if there's
anything left of the pistons at the end of a quarter
mile, you didn't build it right").

The other classes are just as minutae-oriented.

My ex is one of only two mechanics I've known personally
that knew all the math as well as the hands-on.  The other
was one of his instructors.

=Nadine=