Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Oct 20 14:39:28 CDT 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:54:58 -0400
Phil Stracchino wrote:

> You challenged the ticket, I hope?  Under the circumstances, you
> should have been able to get it tossed out under the doctrine of
> culpability and a no-contest plea.
>
> "Yes, your honor, I freely admit that I was in the HOV lane without a
>  passenger.  I had made an emergency lane change into the HOV lane a
>  few hundred yards before in order to avoid a collision, and hadn't
>  been able to get back out of it yet.  I figured a traffic accident
>  was more serious than a brief HOV lane violation."

Well, I tried, but failed.  The judge I had was a serious hardass, and a
biggot too.  Just prior to hearing my case he let a half dozen
minorities get off scott-free from various infractions - all with
records *far* worse than mine, which was clean at the time.

The only good court experience I ever had was when I had to appear for a
unpaid speeding ticket[0] that resulted in a suspension of my
license[1].  Before my court date I paid the fines, got my license
reinstated, and made sure everything was in line.  I went in to court,
stood before the judge and told him, basically, that it was all my fault
for not paying attention to what might be happening on my driving
record.  He let me off with $70 in court costs and struck my record,
IIRC.

[0] one of those "take your picture and mail you the ticket" fiascos.  I
never got the ticket....
[1] also, never got the notice - turns out they're not actually required
to notify you of that, according to the Johnston, RI LEO that stopped
me.

--
Kurt                        "I'm utterly clueless...."
kurt at k-huhn.com                          Verisign VP Chuck Gomes