[geeks] Swords

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Mon Oct 20 14:01:09 CDT 2003

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:39:14AM -0700, N.Miller wrote:
> For wrist strength, either an oak boken (sp?) or an appropriate
> length of rebar (a la _Snowcrash_) is good.

Bokken or bokuto[h], the two terms are interchangeable.  If you go the
rebar route, make sure you make some hind of hilt or you'll tear your
hands up.

With a place to work and reasonable facility with hand woodworking
tools, you can even make your own bokuto.  I've made several.
Cherrywood is traditional, being tough and fairly dense.  I'm pretty
sure hickory would make an excellent substitute.  (I';m also told it
makes damned fine longbow staves, an experiment I may have to try
someday.)